Every school has a Governing Body. The Education (No 2) Act, 1986, states that from 16th September 2013 the Governing Body will consist of 2 Parent Governors, 1 Local Authority appointee, 1 Staff Governor, 1 Headteacher, 2 Foundation and 2 Co-Opted Governors.
Briefly the Governors’ duties are:
- To see that each school is conducted in accordance with the Education Acts.
- Finance - as it affects the needs of the school
- To see that the premises are kept in a good state of repair and to direct how the premises might be used out of school hours.
- To assist in the appointment of all staff in the school.
- To exercise general responsibility for the welfare of the school.
- Governors have always had responsibilities regarding the School’s Curriculum, but with the introduction of the National Curriculum, their duties in this area have been clearly defined.
- In 2014 we decided that all of our meetings would be full governing body meetings so that all governors are fully involved in all decisions.
- Full Governors’ meetings are held nine times a year.
- If you wish to contact the Governors for any reason, you may do so direct or through the Clerk to Governors, via the School Office on 365410.
Please click here to read the Governors Annual Report to Parents 2015-16
Please click here to see the Governors Roles and Responsibilities for 2016-17
Our governors really value the continuous professional development available which helps them fulfil their role within school. Courses attended over the past two years include:
Chairing skills, safeguarding, Prevent Duty, Moving schools from good to outstanding, working with parents, effective governance, RAISE on line, Introduction to pupil premium, SEND, new governor induction, role of the parent governor, safer recruitment,budget monitoring, Headteacher performance management and meeting the ofsted behaviour and safety judgement and chair and clerk update meetings
Full Governing Body Information (September 2016)
|Name||Position||Category||Appointing Authority||Date of Appointment||End Date|
|Mr Kevin Cockram||Vice Chair||Foundation Governor and Board Trustee||Governing body Trust||17/09/2013||16/09/2017|
|Mrs Elizabeth Purnell||LA||Governing body (from LA nomination)||
|Mr Anthony Rollinson||Staff||Staff body||
|Mrs Jennifer Sweet||Foundation Governor and Board Trustee||Governing body Trust||18/11/2013||17/11/2017|
|Mrs Judith Walling||Chair||Co-opted||Governing body Trust||
|Mrs Sharon Burnett||
|Staff and Board Trustee||Governing Body Trust||1/05/16|
|Mrs Kelley Henn||Parent||Parent Body||21/03/16|
|Mr Colin Cooke||Parent||Parent Body||09/05/16|
|Mrs Lesley Taylor||Clerk||Headteacher||15/04/2013|
Governing Body Pecuniary Interests (2016-17)
|Governor's Name||Pecuniary or Business Interests 2016-17|
|Mr Kevin Cockram||Nil|
|Mrs Sharon Burnett||Director at Plaistation CIC|
|Mrs Elizabeth Purnell||Housing Manager and married to Managing Director of a consultancy company|
|Mr Anthony Rollinson||Nil|
|Mrs Sarah Stokes||Nil|
|Mrs Jennifer Sweet||Nil|
|Mrs Judith Walling||Director of Plaistation CIC|
|Mrs Kelley Henn||Nil|
|Mr Colin Cooke||Nil|
|Mrs Lesley Taylor||Nil|
Governing Body Attendance at meetings (September 2016 - present)
|Name||Full Governors' Meeting|
|Mr Kevin Cockram||17/10/16, 20/3/17|
|Mrs Sharon Burnett||19/09/16, 17/10/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mrs Elizabeth Purnell||19/09/16, 17/10/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mr Anthony Rollinson||19/09/16,17/10/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mrs Sarah Stokes||19/09/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mrs Jennifer Sweet||19/09/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17|
|Mrs Judith Walling||19/09/16, 17/10/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mrs Kelley Henn||17/10/16, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mr Colin Cooke||9/09/16, 17/10/16, 23/01/17, 27/02/17, 20/3/17|
|Mrs Lesley Taylor (Clerk)||19/09/16, 17/10/16, 21/11/16, 23/01/17,27/02/17, 20/3/17|
The Assistant Director for Education, learning and families is Judith Harwood, Plymouth Education Directorate, Civic Centre, Plymouth PL1 2AA Tel 01752 307465