Every school has a Governing Body. The Education (No 2) Act, 1986, states that from 16th September 2013 the Governing Body will consist of 3 Parent Governors, 1 Local Authority appointee, 1 Staff Governor, 1 Headteacher and 4 Co-Opted Governors.
Briefly the Governors’ duties are:
- To see that each school is conducted in accordance with the Education Acts.
- Finance - as it affects the needs of the school
- To see that the premises are kept in a good state of repair and to direct how the premises might be used out of school hours.
- To assist in the appointment of all staff in the school.
- To exercise general responsibility for the welfare of the school.
- Governors have always had responsibilities regarding the School’s Curriculum, but with the introduction of the National Curriculum, their duties in this sphere have been clearly defined.
- Committees have been formed so that duties may be shared amongst the Governing Body. This allows for Governors with the same interests or skills to work together for the benefit of the school. There are currently two committees – Building/ Finance & Safeguarding and Personnel/Standards & Community.
- Full Governors’ meetings are held five times a year. The committees meet regularly as necessary, report their decisions and make recommendations to the full meetings.
- If you wish to contact the Governors for any reason, you may do so direct or through the Clerk to Governors, via the School Office on 365410.
|Name||Governor Category||Specific Responsibilities||Date of appointment||End date||Appointed by|
|Mrs Judith Walling||Co-opted Governor / Chair||Safeguarding, Gifted and Talented, Attendance, Behaviour, Anti-Bullying and Pay Committee||15/10/13||14/10/17||Governing body|
|Mr Kevin Cockram||Foundation and Board Trustee / Vice Chair||HT Performance Management||17/09/13||16/09/17||Governing body Trust|
|Mrs Fiona Hazeel||Staff Governor - Headteacher and Board Trustee||01/08/07||Governing bodyTrust|
|Mr Anthony Rollinson||Staff Governor||Health and Safety||15/09/14||14/09/18||Staff body|
|Mrs Elizabeth Purnell||LA Governor||Maths, Health and Safety, HT Performance Management and Pay Committee||16/11/13||15/11/17||Governing body (from LA nomination)|
|Mrs Jennifer Sweet||Foundation Governor||Literacy||18/11/13||17/11/17||Governing body Trust|
|Mrs Sarah Stokes||Parent Governor||LAC (Looked After Children) and SEN||17/11/14||16/11/18||Parent body|
|Mrs Lesley Taylor||Clerk to the Governors||14/04/13||Headteacher|
The Assistant Director for Education, learning and families is Judith Harwood, Plymouth Education Directorate, Civic Centre, Plymouth PL1 2AA Tel 01392 307465